Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Well it's green... sort of...

Last week I was making a chicken/rice/veggies dish for dinner. I usually keep some green peppers or some such on hand. But at that time I didn't have any fresh vegetables in the house (mushrooms not counting for this purpose.) What I did have was a can of green peas that I had never gotten around to using. So I dumped them in.

I was not pleased with the results. Canning does not do peas any favors. I'm guessing that vegetable skyrocketed in popularity after the frozen variety was introduced. In fact I would venture to say that canned greenish brown peas are half of the reason English cooking has such a bad global repuration. The other half can be attribured to putting the words "kidney" and "pie" in the same sentence.

4 comments:

susan said...

I guess I won't be sending you that case of antique canned peas for your birthday after all :-)

Ben said...

Good thing we got this cleared up now. That could have been AWK-ward.

susan said...

Hope you're feeling better.

Ben said...

Recovering, yeah. I think there was something going around these past couple of weeks.