Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Scene and heard

While out and about on Saturday, I strolled through Waterplae Park. This was a day belonging to a Waterfire night, and some vendors and performers had already set up, doin' their thing.

Among the latter was this group called (I think) Sgt Fifer's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Only part I'm not sure of is whether they included the "Sgt." Anyhow, this was an indie rock guy and a couple of buddies, playing songs from Sgt Pepper while his 8-ish daughter sang.

Rapt attention, man. Fr'real. When I first started to walk by, they were doing "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite." Very basic. The girl sang in an almost toneless voice, rising up for phrases like "In his way Mr. K will challenge the world." The musicians also kept to basic repetitions. But there was something fasinating about this performance I had trouble putting my finger on. Maybe just the fact that they were doing songs from one of the Beatles' most elaborate productions, and this wasn't elaborate at all.

Anyway, I was glad that I was able to stop for a while. Even if they skipped over "Good Morning, Good Morning."

No comments: