If it's in my apartment, I'll do my best to kill it. I have to live here. I've relocated some moths to the outside in the past, but there's not always time.
If it's already outside, I'll let it be. As an illustration, if there's an ant where my foot is about to come down, I'll do my best to miss it. The ecosystem does need them.
Obviously, those that try to sting or bite me are an exception. And I've grimly accepted that I have to put the kibosh on lanternflies whenever I see them and am able to get to them. Although I'm still hoping our birds acquire a taste for them.
1 comment:
Ancient Greek for Insect, eh?
For the most part your way of dealing with insects is pretty much the same as mine.
I'll kill the ones I come across inside the place - I really don't like the silverfish that tend to live here quietly but so long as they stay out of sight I don't get aggressive. Otherwise, it's squish and into the flushing toilet.
Outside I won't kill them deliberately either, or try not to. Did you know that practising Buddhists won't kill anything because it might be their grandmother? I'm thinking grannie must have lived an especially sinful life to end up as a fruitfly or something else low.
One of those insects we'll kill under certain circumstances are those that bite - like mosquitoes (no mercy for them). But if a wasp gets into our apartment we'll usually catch it in a glass and put a piece of stiff cardboard underneath so we can put it out again. Usually all they want is to get back outside.
Then there are those creatures that aren't insects but have some insectoid aspects - spiders. House spiders are allowed to stay (they like eating silverfish and others we simply haven't seen) but that's so long as they don't scare me by hiding in a towel - then they could die by an accidental reaction on my part. If I find one that's grown very large it gets the glass and cardboard treatment since it's probably big enugh to fight its battles outdoors.
Post a Comment