If you see a walrus's snout up close you see all these little bristles. Those are to feel along the ocean floor for food like clams and such. They're very good at surviving in the far North. This video was shot off the coast of Svalbard. They're also quite graceful in the water.
Anyway, just wanted you to see that. There was another walrus video I could have shown, but the background music was a little distracting.
2 comments:
Completely at peace in his world that one walrus was a most charming sight to behold. I get understand about the whiskers but what I'm still wondering about is why the tusks? Elephants have them to clear brush and knock down trees but neither of themexist in a maritime environment.
Speaking of something fun to see here we have Cab Calloway and the Nicholas Brothers performing Jumpin Jive from one of our favorite movies Stormy Weather. An amazing performance.
https://youtu.be/_8yGGtVKrD8?si=fUJI0A0w5cY41zMC
It is a beautiful sight, and seeing it I can't help but smile a little. "Why the tusks?" is a good question. I assumed that the tusks were used for prying clams open and other food seeking activities, which is how Dougal Dixon explained Distarterops tusks in After Man. But no, they're primarily used to make holes in ice so the walruses can pull themselves out of water. Natural pitons, in effect.
That is an excellently filmed musical and dance sequence. I knew I was in for a good time as soon as Cab's piano player did his little intro.
Post a Comment