Here's something to see. It's a giant public sculpture in Rochester, New York, known as Threshold. The color is what they call safety yellow. Whether it's actually the color most easily registered by the brain, which the article asserts, I don't know. But it is a color that comes up a lot in children's media of all kinds.
On the other hand there are the shadows it casts. Shadows and light, the brightness of the mellow setting up a contrast. A very neat use of negative space, as this was all left-over material.

2 comments:
I agree that's a very impressive sculpture and I especially like the idea it was designed to be seen largely through the shadows it makes on the ground. Henry Moore is one of those world famous artists a number of whose works are made to be played with and interacted with.
I've always liked sculptures that interact with the outdoor environment where they've been placed. Have I ever told you about the kinetic sculptures made by
Anthony Howe (I can't believe I haven't mentioned him before as he's one of my most favorite sculptors)? His stuff is stunningly complex. The video is older but valuable because it shows his process.
https://youtu.be/RshSaF_juGs?si=aJ2m0O3VdHBuY94A
Yeah, to complete a thought that I only sort of broached in the original blog post, yellow is the color of the sun, and the sun is what makes shadows possible, so there's a way in which things come full circle. Henry Moore is a great asset to the world of sculpture. I love his Sheep Piece, especially as its become a playground for real sheep.
I can see why Anthony Howe would be a favorite of yours. His sculptures are made up of bits that might not look "arty" in themselves but have a great cumulative impact, especially when they're in motion. "About Face", the giant face made up of moving copper and stainless steel panels, is a real eye opener.
Post a Comment