Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Language just keeps getting weirder

Here's a sentence you wouldn't have heard fifty, or even twenty years ago. "I just ate an edible." Congratulations? It might be more worth mentioning if you had eaten an inedible.

This is of course a result of cannabis culture, which has expanded since many states started on the road to legalization but which doesn't interest me. As for what they call edibles, even if you can retain the flavor as you add the stuff that contains THC, I'm not sure I'd want to eat anything that could make me paranoid. Or drowsy, beyond the usual. But to each his own, I guess.

2 comments:

susan said...

This is the first I've heard about 'edibles' as a thing. Naturally, I have memories of getting the 'munchies' after smoking some dope but not 'edibles' as a way of getting high. On the other hand my first experience with cannabis was when I lived in London as a non-smoker. A Californian friend, a computer programmer (when hardly anyone was familiar with them), made some hash brownies and gave me a couple. I was feeling fine and normal for about an hour and when the effects hit we were sitting in a theater watching a movie. I seem to recall making something of a fool of myself as I found the film to be much funnier than it probably was - in fact it might have been a tragedy. Then I went home and straight to bed to enjoy some entertaining dreams.

That was my only experience with 'edibles'. I always preferred smoking hash to grass because it allowed a smoother high but it was hard to get. I don't know if it's part of the legalized stuff available now. I do know that products with THC are much stronger than they used to be and I wouldn't try them either.

Ben said...

Yeah, hash brownies have been around for a while. As you know. There's a slight possibility that the projector broke down and the theater wasn't even able to show a movie that night. But that was cannabis-laced food as done by amateurs. There seems to be a whole industry based around it now, for good or ill.

It's not something I remember ever being really affected by. That might be a personal chemistry thing, I don't know. Also, as you say, the products are stronger now. I never really feel like reaching that point of intoxication. Many people do, and it might be worth digging into the root causes of that.