Sunday, August 16, 2026

Am I missing something?

Science can be cool, when it's not dreary, as it frequently has been in recent years. And it's not a bad thing to try and perceive new things. But this "new color", olo? Man, I just don't know. It's a highly saturated blue-green, which seems to look nice. But apparently you can only really see it when a laser is shot into your retina. How often do you think you can make time for that?

It sounds like something that will be semi-remembered as a crazy fad in a few years. But making a new color name out of the middle three letters in "color" is kind of clever.

2 comments:

susan said...

Yeah, you do have to wonder about who is actually funding this blue sky (or should I say 'olo'?) science and to what purpose? I did read the article but it didn't appear that question was answered with any seriousness.

We've known for years that new televisions and modern monitors can generate colors that the human eye can't discern. That's why we don't care to replace our tv set with a better one. Why bother?

A similar claim has been made about music in that new machines reproduce sounds we can't hear.. like dog whistles, perhaps.

Ben said...

You tend not to find out about who funds scientific studies. At least, not unless you know where to dig. That doesn't necessarily mean there's sinister intent. I can't really think what the sinister intent would be for this. But if you knew you might ask more questions about how reliable the studies are.

TV screens and other monitors present approximations of approximations of real images. They can generate colors that our eyes can't make out? Okay. I can't get too upset over not discerning them. There are other things in the world to see.

We've always known that there are sounds that lie outside of our range of hearing. I know Laurie Anderson has made music for dogs, which is a fun concept.