Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Dog days of winter

I don't have firsthand experience of pregnancy and childbirth, certainly, so I can't testify to how uncomfortable they can be. Saw something to put this in perspective, though. Today when I ran out for a quick trip to the grocery I saw a lactating pit bull. Now I can only imagine that having everything hang down like that when you're so low to the ground to begin with could make you grumpy. She seemed to be handling it pretty well, which is good, because pit bull.

2 comments:

susan said...

Claiming ignorance, I'll pass on the first part.

It sounds as though the dog you saw was likely one owned by someone breeding pitbull puppies. Maybe she needed a bit of exercise as you don't often see one far from her pups.

I wonder if the animal you saw was an American Bully rather than a Pitbull. Banned in the UK now because they have a history of vicious behavior, there are definitely people breeding them for money.

Ben said...

Not a problem if you feel like bypassing that part.

The breeding hypothesis is pretty solid. Most people don't have pregnant or postpartum pit bulls by accident these days. Or pregnant dogs in general, for that matter. Breeding is more deliberate now, for better or worse.

I've seen American Bullies and I'm cautious around them, because they could do serious damage to you if they wanted to, and even though they're not always vicious you don't know what they're owner is trying to instill in them. This one to me looked more like an American Pit Bull, although I could be wrong.