Monday, December 5, 2022

Hear them wail

On an errand early this evening I was walking down the hill when I heard the siren of a fire engine. As they do, they leaned on the air horn at the same time. And then came another fire engine, And another. To be honest I lost count when I went inside a store, but there were a lot. Either it was a serious situation or the mother of all prank alarms.

Later on I heard a song playing on the internet that had firetruck sirens in it as well. As you might imagine that messed with my head.

2 comments:

susan said...

We've noticed similar instances when just one truck answering a call doesn't seem to be quite enough. Any number of times we've heard so many multiple sirens and horns blowing that we'd expect to see the remains of a burnt out building at the very least the next time we went out. It's never happened yet.

I know what you mean about hearing sirens in a piece of music. We generally only listen to music on the i-pod when we're driving so a siren can be quite disconcerting.

Ben said...

Yeah, I don't know what to think, especially since I saw a truck going in the opposite direction, sans siren while I was walking home. Good chance there was a real emergency, but who knows what that means? If memory serves we've had fire alarms twice while I've been living in this building. One time was when somebody's kid pulled the alarm. The other time it went off automatically because someone's smoke detector got wet.

Heh. I imagine hearing something like that in the car can be quite paranoia-inducing, at least until you can ascertain there's nothing to it.