Saturday, December 31, 2022

Dampening

I don't know how many people do big things on New Year's Eve. For me, along with my friends, it's gotten hard to make plans and stick to them. I'll be seeing some friends tomorrow, the first day of 2023.

It's been a rainy day, drizzling in the morning and early afternoon, with the rain getting steadier as the day and night went on. Not enough to flood the streets or anything, but enough to notice. 

So people who did make plans probably adjusted them downward. Still, the city or someone rang in the New Year with fireworks. Kind of a nice gesture, even if I basically just heard them and couldn't see them.

2 comments:

susan said...

I have to go all the way back to when I still lived with my parents to remember New Year's Eve parties. Of course there were get-togethers and celebrations in later years but none that were really focused on the event. Parties likely still happen but I can't say I've ever noticed any going on anywhere we've lived. I imagine them to be bar events nowadays - without the big bands and champagne cocktails.

The local fireworks were over in less than five minutes. Now that's ridiculous - why even bother with the matches?

It's been mostly overcast here too and I agree that gray days have a charm of their own. Nevertheless, I can't help but be happier knowing the daylight hours are lengthening even if I can't actually see it happening yet.

btw: The windstroms we get here gust at 90kph - that's 56mph.. pretty intense but hardly hurricane velocity. We'll still be moving the plants next time one starts gearing up.

Ben said...

I certainly hope that someone is having them, regardless of the fact that I seem to have passed out of that set. The "cancel everything because germs" thing lasted a solid two years. That's enough time to strain if not kill many traditions, which seemed to be the point at times. No, enough is enough. Whether there are still places with champagne and big bands, well, one can hope. I went to Bovi's jazz band night a few times, a number of years ago. They closed in 2018.

I dunno. Is it in their contract somewhere that they have to provide fireworks, but they can half-ass it?

There's a certain comfort in the rhythm of days getting both shorter and longer, depending on the time of year. Of course I can see why you'd be excited about the latter, keeping outdoor plants and all.

Speaking of which, yeah, time to bring them in when the windows rattle and you can see trees in the neighborhood bending sideways.