Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Signal language

Today I dropped in at a bakery to buy a loaf of bread. I saw one on the shelf I figured I could use. Only problem was there was no one at the counter. In the kitchen, yes, but not out where they could see customers.

I tried making some noise. If I were more aggressive I would have made even more noise, the angry kind, although I'm not sure this would have helped. Were I more passive I would have left and tried to pick up bread somewhere else.

Which I started to do, but on the way out I flicked a light switch up and down. It didn't effect the lights out in the store, but it might have done something back in the kitchen. Which is why the story has a happy ending, maybe.

2 comments:

susan said...

There used to be little devices called bells that would either be above the door to ring when the door opened or a small one on the counter you could hit for service. It's not like you'd be considered rude to do so - unless, of course, if you kept opening and closing the door or banging on the counter one. That might be a little irritating.

Glad you got your loaf without further hassle.

Ben said...

To be clear there was no bell on the counter. I looked. Unless there was and they hid it under the counter, but that would still mean in effect that there wasn't. No bell on the door, either. It's strange they didn't have anything like that, although I suspect the single person working there had earbuds or something in.

The bread is a good crusty sourdough at a nice price, so I can't complain on that score.