Saturday, August 27, 2022

Had me going for a second

 


The other night I thought of the above song. Thought of it, but didn't know the name. I was pretty sure it was on Sandinista!, but that album has a lot of tracks. So I tried Googling by selected lyrics. No luck. Nothing at all. And as far fetched as it seems, I did idly wonder for a little bit if this was a false memory, something related to the Mandela effect.

As it turned out the reason I couldn't find it by the lyrics was that I was remembering a phrase as "don't pray for your life" when it's actually "don't beg for your life." Cutting out the "don't pray" part and putting quotes around what I could remember brought me the results.

Something this elaborate? If it were a fake memory that would make me a borderline schizophrenic who could write songs like Joe Strummer. Talk about good news/bad news!


2 comments:

susan said...

No doubt ir's a great song if not a happy one, but so many of their lyrics involved tragic circumstances accompanied by upbeat music. Much like the Ramones, The Clash were never negative about the serious subjects they were drawing our attention toward. The message was usually pay attention but don't lose hope.

You know I'm pretty good at finding the right search words but I didn't know about putting part of a phrase inside quotation marks.

The Mandela Effect is weird enough in that it's about the commonality of false memories. They do happen and perhaps more so now than in earlier eras but when you're told you can detect your own by "consulting reliable sources such as encyclopedias, mainstream news sites, or peer-reviewed journals" I think I'd rather keep the ones I have. Who in their right mind is going to take any of the above at face value know what we do about their unreliability?

Hah! Being a borderline schizophrenic who could write songs like Joe Strummer might be worth the bad news part.

***
btw: The movie Nocturnal Animals is on Amazon Prime if you're interested.

Ben said...

The Ramones were, I believe, one of a small number of bands the Clash openly gushed about. (After Bo Diddley, of course.) But yes, their legacy has survived punk rock being forgotten, revived, mainstreamed into oblivion, and forgotten again. People keep coming back to them because there's something warm and humanistic in the music.

It's fairly simple. If you know an exact phrase, put it all in quotes. If you know the gist of a sentence but aren't sure you have the exact right words, put the phrases you do know in quotes. Simple, yes, although it doesn't get results 100% of the time because Google sometimes filters or otherwise biases them, but it's pretty handy in general.

That's a good point. The sources you mention aren't exactly the pinnacle of trustworthiness. And peer review often just means that the reviewers are close enough to the author that they'd feel awkward not signing off on the work.

Who knows? There have been a lot of loony-but-creative people in history, and saying that they all should have been on SSRIs misses the point.

I'll keep Nocturnal Animals in mind. Does sound like an intriguing concept.