Friday, November 26, 2021

Pants all folks! (Sorry, they can't all be good)

One typical guy thing that I tend to go is to wear and ignore clothes until they fall apart. Recently that happened with two pairs of jeans, which started to grow holes everywhere. Even in the warm months this would make me find kind of stupid, Ergo, time to buy new ones. 

One of the new pairs has narrow legs, somewhat elasticized. I think these are what are called "skinny jeans," and they're being sold at Burlington Coat Factory for about $15. So whether or not I bear any responsibility for killing that trend, it seems pretty dead.

2 comments:

susan said...

Ah yes, the denim problem. Not all that long ago all denim clothing was made from a heavyweight version of the fabric (like 14oz or more - wt of one yard of fabric). For the last few years the major companies, including Levi's, use lighter weight material - and to make things worse, they actually acid wash or stone wash the jeans to make them look preworn (treatments that really do damage the jeans). So the hapless consumer has to buy expensive jeans a lot more often just to stay decently covered.

LLBean still has high quality denims - I have two pair that are more than 15 years old but I don't wear them all the time like a guy would. Jer got a pair made by them a few years ago but didn't like the fit. Oh well.

Stretchy, eh? That will be different.

Ben said...

At some level I think I may have figured that jeans have been made with more lightweight material recently. If you feel the fabric with your fingers it feels kind of like a shirt. And it makes sense that stonewash and acid wash damage the denim--the word "acid" is right there. Acid washing seems to have gotten big in the eighties, and never really appealed to me then, either. And since I favor black jeans over blue that's something I can see with the bare eye. Although sometimes you don't have a lot in the way of choice.

Men's clothing does go through a rougher time. Probably because we don't want to have to spend too much time thinking about what to wear, so the old reliables come into play more. LL Bean has a reputation, and it's good that they seem to mostly follow it.

The stretchiness was a little weird at first. Got used to it. Wonder if I look like I'm wearing tights.