Monday, June 7, 2021

The big heat

That time of year is upon us. High heat and high humidity. Dogs will be hanging their tongues out and looking for shady places to nap, if they aren't already. 

Speaking of napping, it helps to have some efficient cooling at least in your bedroom. Some people think you need air conditioning, but I don't really feel this is necessary, and certainly not for the home. I have a fairly powerful fan about the size of a toddler, so I should be all right. Anything that keeps you mostly dry overnight is fine.

2 comments:

susan said...

It ought not to be quite that time of year quite yet, I think. When I read this I looked up the forecast where I learned a thunderstorm or two will pave the way to cooler weather there soon. I hope so, anyway. Much as I hate hot and humid weather myself, I know you don't really mind it and I agree with you that a good fan is far prefarable to air conditioning. It seems to me there's little much worse than going from an excessively cool indoors out to extreme heat.

Anyway, it's still colder than normal here and we're still closing windows and wearing jackets outside. There's weird stuff going on.

Ben said...

Well, we got a little preview anyway. It is true that a thunderstorm--big, sudden--cooled things down a bit. Summer still seems to be on track. My system is funny. When I'm working in an air conditioned place and in the office for a long time, I need to go out into the heat periodically to reset. To some extent the same is true for air-driven heat during the winter.

You're apparently getting a wave of warmer/hotter weather now, maybe a little behind schedule. Luckily you have the water nearby.