Saturday, June 5, 2021

A vignette of the Belle Epoque

 


Chantal: So you were saying...

Vivienne: I was just telling you that it's weird to be around Edmond when Anatole is around.

C: Weird? What kind of weird?

V: Well like, Anatole can spend an hour or more staring at Edmond, this creepy pout under his beard. And I'm all, are you sporting wood for my boyfriend, buddy?

C: Ha-ha, that's awesome. How does Edmond react?

V: He just kind of stares into space all broody-like. It's hard to know if he's into it or he's just clueless and self-absorbed. You know how it is.

C: Well I mean, yeah, I told you when you first started dating. When they're that pretty there's usually something missing.

V: Uh-huh. Well, I'll make you a bet.

C: Actual money bet?

V: Nothing too rich. Say twenty francs.

C: Huh. What's the bet, then?

V: Okay, so the three of us are having a picnic tomorrow. Has to be the three of us because Anatole tags along everywhere.

C: Yeah, okay.

V: And the bet is that I can take off all my clothes, just get ass naked right there in the park, and neither one of them will even notice.

C: No way! That's a claim all right. I'm gonna need proof.

V: Yeah, I know, pics or it didn't happen. I'll get you a snapshot.

C: See, that won't work. It's the nineteenth century and a photograph takes six fuckin' hours. No, I have to be there.

V: Sure, whatever. We'll be by the river. You can go there and bathe or something.

C: Fine, but I have to keep my slip on. I'm breaking out in zits all over.

V: TMI, but I'd insist on it anyway. I never said anything about them being able to ignore two naked women.

C: ?!?

V: Well, not Edmond anyway.

2 comments:

susan said...

Nice one. Bravo!

Ben said...

Once again, thank you. Still think there's something inherently funny about the fact that these guys aren't really paying attention to her. Did the critics who were scandalized by the painting take that into account?