Monday, April 26, 2021

Drama queening

The headline on this article is a little on the melodramatic side. Yes, there will be a few changes to the political map due to the Census-driven reapportionment. Sure to be some jockeying and gerrymandering as well. But most of these developments are unsurprising, just a crystallization of trends that have been happening out in the open for all to see.

California loses one and Oregon gains one, which would seem to suggest that a lot of people leaving California for financial reasons or whatever just drove a little north. That said, if the Beaver State doesn't pull out of its current funk I wouldn't expect them to hold onto that seat.

Here in Rhode Island we were bracing for a loss of a seat, which would have made us a single-representative state like Vermont and the Dakotas. Didn't wind up happening. My friends and I all reached the conclusion that Langevin would have been the one to bite the bullet if it had.

2 comments:

susan said...

While I understand how the districting applies depending on population numbers I've never understood gerrymandering. I'm also not clear about how it's decided who loses their seat in the case of a state losing a member of congress. Jim Langevin seemed pretty happy that RI continues to have two so I wonder if he was a bit nervous about his position even though he's been in government longer than David Cicilline. Of course all I can go on is physical appearance since I know nothing about his record but he does look a bit doltish - too long at the trough, perhaps.

It would be interesting if the NY congresspersons got together and decided to dump AOC. I hear the bars in NYC will soon be reopening so she'd always have work.

Ben said...

Gerrymandering is when the borders around districts are manipulated for partisan reasons. It's not supposed to happen, but that's never stopped anyone. The thing is there's no agreed-upon standard for what constitutes it, and no real way to constrain parties once they've achieved majority power. The Cicilline family is more connected than the Langevins, I think. Also Cicilline was Mayor of Providence, which is handy for building lists of donors and such. Prolonged exposure can definitely leave you less than you were.

The process is a little more complicated, but short version is I'm pretty sure AOC's job is secure. Which might be too bad. Karmically speaking I wouldn't be surprised if bartending is better for you.