Tuesday, November 17, 2020

A comparison

 Different approaches to the same material.


This is Joni in what's probably her most acclaimed phase. It's undeniably catchy. And as a non-musician, I have to doff my hat to her guitar playing on this one.


Still you wouldn't necessarily expect the Supremes to take on this intimate singer-songwriter stuff. They're version is noticeably brassed up, not to bad effect.

They were more of an ensemble than is always remembered. The lead vocal here is taken by Jean Terrell, who took Diana Ross's place when she left. 

For the record, Flo Ballard is my favorite Supreme.

2 comments:

susan said...

Although there's no doubt she's an ingenious song writer the albums Joni Mitchell made that I liked the most were Don Juan's Reckless Daughter and Dreamland. I can't really say why other than it seems to me her voice and presentation were stronger as time went on - personal preference, I suppose. I also far prefer Leonard Cohen's later work.

I really enjoyed the version of All I Want done by the Supremes (without Diana) to Joni's performance. Brassy seems to suit the lyrics and melody.

Ben said...

I do like Don Juan's Reckless Daughter and thought "Dreamland" was a real highlight from it. Overall I think Hejira, which came right before it, is my favorite Joni. "Furry Sings the Blues" and "Black Crow" always wow me. Leonard Cohen was an estimable songwriter throughout his career.

I greatly enjoy the harmonies in the Supremes' version of this song. It's got an overwhelming energy.