Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Two things about this week

1. Okay, Monday? I was on a bus that crashed. Specifically it ran into an SUV. The driver of the smaller vehicle apparently wanted to pull into a driveway, but they just kind of came out of nowhere.

By way of explanation, I wasn't being coy or secretive on Monday. I was genuinely too beat to go into it.

Don't know for sure, but the driver might have been distracted by this couple sitting in the back. She was drunk and hysterical. He was less drunk but an asshole. Like, I think at the ER they might find a bunch of injuries he's given her. Just a hunch. I told the fire department to keep an eye out but I don't know if they heard me and anyway they're not cops.

Anyway, the rescue workers went up the aisle asking people if they were hurt. They let the half of the passengers who didn't have any injuries go. I was in that lucky 50%.

2. Today I got the news that Terry Jones, the charming Welshman from Monty Python, had passed on. This doesn't come out of the blue, but it's a bit melancholy. I have to hand it to the local library. By the time I went there this afternoon they had a display by the entrance of all the Flying Circus episodes and at least one movie (Meaning of Life.)

2 comments:

susan said...

Well, that was surely a bit of unneeded excitement, an incident it's good to know didn't have serious consequences for you personally. As for the bus driver and the passengers who were hurt we can only hope they too were okay afterwards - the suv driver too. People do dumb things sometimes.

I'm sure you remember your grandfather had some good stories about his years in England as a bus driver on the old Routemasters. The good thing about them was that the driver was in a cabin separated from the passengers so all he had to do was concentrate on the roads while a conductor collected the fares and kept an eye out for troublemakers. That would be a good thing to bring back, but I don't imagine it's likely.

We were very sorry too to hear about Terry Jones's passing. We have to count our blessings that he and the other Pythons entertained and enlightened us at one and the same time.

Ben said...

It does seem that there can be serious consequences for fleeting mistakes on the road. The bus driver I don't think did anything wrong, or at least wasn't in the wrong. I wonder if he'll have to be off the road for a while, injury-wise.

Grandad was well-suited to that kind of work, it seems to me. New buses do have a Plexiglas barrier over the driver's area. Not quite the same thing as being in a cabin. Kind of dystopian, actually, but these days what isn't?

Ah, the great "Yes, we are all individuals" scene. I think this is the first time I've noticed that it's based on the age-old English panto tradition. Also that Brian's mother is really bad at getting rid of crowds, assuming that's even what she really wants.