Saturday, January 18, 2020

Cleanup crew


Just recently found out about Caroline Walker. She's a Scottish artist who's shown in London and New York. The image above is part of a series she did on women who work in housekeeping at a hotel. The pictures aren't grimy or miserabilist. Colors are few, at least in most of the pictures, but make a stronger statement because of it. Walker speaks a visual language of modernist realism, and in that language she takes time to acknowledge a group of female laborers who tend to go unseen.

Anyway, her website is here if you're curious.

2 comments:

susan said...

I like her 'housekeeping' series in particular, the one you chose to show is the best of them in my opinion. All of her work is good, but I was disappointed that every painting I looked at was of women - even the 'Tailoring' group and that seemed wrong somehow.

Ben said...

It was partly a choice and partly necessity. A lot of other pictures couldn't be downloaded by themselves, I'd have had to download the whole page, which would be useless for blog purposes. Nonetheless, I do love this painting. The red is so crisp.

She could be focusing on a particular segment of the workforce now, for practical reasons or otherwise. Maybe she'll look at different workers later. The important thing for me is that her artistic approach and her subject work well together.