Thursday, July 4, 2019

Works of fire

Yes, of course, there were fireworks tonight. (Actually since tomorrow is technically a weekday, maybe it's not obvious.) They took place downtown, so for the most part I looked down the hill to see what was going on. But some were from a different direction, looked to be from behind the house next to the one I live in. They weren't directly behind, but you know. Anyway, I momentarily wondered if they were part of the show or were someone running off fireworks in their yard. But I don't think they'd be both as big and as symmetrical if that were the case. So neighborhood fingers are safe.

2 comments:

susan said...

I remember the 4th of July fireworks display that happened over the little lake just across from our place on Bartlett Ave. It was always well attended (to say the least) and back then lots of people brought extras. The big show was great but I always worried a bit about one of the others landing on the roof of that old house.

Canada Day was July 1st and we're close enough to the harbor that we heard them and saw a few flashes. The odd thing, though, was that the whole thing began and ended within ten minutes and it was very loud from beginning to end. It seems to me fireworks used to start off slow and would take half an hour or more until ending with a big finish. Either I'm mis-remembering or people really do have very short attention spans in the real world now.

Ben said...

The park was a good place for a fireworks display because the lake was right there, which gave off neat reflections. I would hope that there'd be a fire team ready to keep things from getting out of hand. But then the phrase "I would hope" is not adequate protection in itself.

Ten minutes is awful quick. I remember there being more buildup too. It very well may be a matter of people having shorter attention spans. Has to be frustrating for people who are stuck in traffic for an extra twelve minutes, though.