Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Reader's advisory

The other day I cut my finger, somehow. It was rainy and windy and I wrestled a bit with my umbrella, so it probably had something to do with that, but I don't remember feeling the actual cut. Just looking down and noticing the blood at some point.

The rest of the day and the next day I wore a band-aid, because the bleeding hadn't stopped, or was ready to start again with just a little provocation. While I was changing the bandage I noticed a flap of pale skin. Ick. Keep that out of sight. But now the flap has settled down as the wound has healed.

Anyway, I found it interesting. Not so interesting that I'm looking for it to happen again, though.

2 comments:

susan said...

It's strange how often it happens that we can injure ourselves without noticing the fact immediately. It's not so true of burns or of bruises either, but cuts can be slow to notify you that something out of the way is going on.. until you notice the blood, that is. I've done it a few times myself while preparing food and my first reaction is usually annoyance that I've bled on the carrot or whatever. After that comes the cold water, the bandaid, and the tidying up. I'm glad to know your wound healed quickly. And, yes, it's always best to try to avoid injury in the first place.

Ben said...

The other thing about these little injuries is that when you notice them, your brain and body both suddenly notice that your supposed to hurt, and that's when the pain starts. There are other things where you feel pain right away, but it's weird to just suddenly go, "Oh yeah, ouch."

Yeah, don't want to many of those. I don't mind having a scar here or there, but I'm not looking to get a lot of them. No judgment to those who do, but I wouldn't want to wear those ear things that drag your lobes down, either.