Sunday, October 21, 2018

That old familiar clank and hiss

My friend Peter drove me home tonight. He had the heat on in his car. When I told him the heat hadn't come on in my apartment yet he was shocked. It's actually a building-wide thing, and as it happened the furnace hadn't been fired up yet.

Anyway, when I got home tonight the radiator in my living room was warm, so that kind of made a liar out of me. Not that I mind. It's nice to be a little toastier. So there's another seasonal marker.

2 comments:

susan said...

I can well understand your friend being somewhat shocked since I know the nighttime temperatures there are probably below freezing by now. Goodness knows it's cool enough here after dark and ours is a milder climate. Nevertheless, it's only been in the past two weeks the heat has been turned on here even though the nights were cold enough to warrant it earlier - at least for some people. The good news for us is that our balcony door and the bedroom window face south so we have that for passive heating on sunny days. Still, it's nice to hear that comforting hiss on a cold evening.

Ben said...

The southern-facing balcony sounds like a nice adaptation. Not sure if you and Jerry were specifically in the market for that, but it worked out.

The summer temperatures seem to be over here now. No great loss. The balmy and sweaty weather we had in early October was unpleasant and climate change-y. But it hasn't been as cold in the past few days. That means the heat's off as well. It spent a few days proving it was still here, then went back to sleep. For now.