Monday, October 29, 2018

Giant steps

A friend of mine invited me to see They Might Be Giants with him. (The band, not the movie, which too few people seem to remember.) His wife was going to go with him, but she's out of town for work reasons. While the show was last night and I had to get up somewhat early this morning, I jumped at the chance, I mean come on.

And it turned out to be a great show. They've lost none of their playfulness. John Flansbergh, the more thickly built one* is the more talkative of the two, but both relish playing for an audience.

This song was probably an inevitable play, given its current resonance.                       


This one is always nice to hear. They used a rather different arrangement, partly due to having a proper six piece band now.


They don't really seem to do the same show twice, or at least switch it up from tour to tour. I'm glad I caught this one.

*For a long time you could call him "the one with the glasses" but Linnell wears spex onstage now too.

2 comments:

susan said...

These were two very good choices of songs to post. What a treat you got to see them in a live performance and now we're both wondering where it was - being sure as we are that Lupo's and The Living Room are both likely long gone. Could it have been at Brown?

Even long after we moved to Portland I'd occasionally call Dial-a-Song. I'm not certain when that ended but it was a very cool idea. I'm glad to know they're still around.

Ben said...

Oh, usually I wait a few days before responding to your comments, but this is too good. This is something that I meant to put in the post, because as a story this may be the best part. We saw them at the Columbus Theatre. I don't know if you remember it or not, but the Columbus used to be an adult movie theatre back when those were still around. It's really nice looking, too. As Ron said, "I hope they've reupholstered."

From what I understand the Dial-a-Song thing is something they go back to intermittently, when they have extra songs. It's a neat idea.