Saturday, January 2, 2021

Small world

 Let it be known. It came to my attention a while back that this this blog shares its name with a piece of music by French electronic musician Jean-Michel Jarre. What's interesting is that Jarre's piece only came out in 2018, on his album Equinoxe Infinity. By that time I had been blogging at this space for over a decade. Some of us are just ahead of our time.

To be honest, this stuff isn't really to my taste. I could see him being a successful movie composer, though. It's got a kind of big-budget sci-fi feel.







2 comments:

susan said...

I wonder if Jarre happened across your blog at some point? It is conceivable if not entirely likely.

As for the musical piece I agree that it's not entirely to my taste either but, then again, I'm personally not a big fan of most electronic music - other than Brian Eno, of course, and a few others.

Speaking of electronic music, this morning I read an interesting piece written by Nick Cave in the US Spectator about why AI will never be able to write a satisfactory song. In the rest of the article he answers other questions put to him with great sensitivity.



Ben said...

Yeah, the most likely possibility is that we came to it independently. But who knows?

I'm not really into "serious" electronic music, either. More modest, song-based electronic stuff is another matter. Eno's quirky enough to always keep it interesting.

Cave is a very impressive musical figure as well. And I think he's right. Harari's idea about the future of music sounds more like psychotropic drugs than anything else. And there's a big difference between taking medication to be less sad and happiness.