Friday, January 8, 2021

Personality and strategy

 Are you hot or cold? Are you an irresistible force? Or more of an immovable object? Do you have an ability to sway and influence the behavior of others? Or do you find your gift is more in going your own way and not being easily influenced?

I have my own answers―some more tentative than others―to these questions. But it's not just about me. I think people adopt the personas that will be most effective for them. This is partly a matter of convincing the world around you and partly a matter of convincing yourself. 

This is analogous to the talk of changing faces in the Talking Heads song "Seen and Not Seen." Although I guess David Byrne could tell you it's not a perfect system.

2 comments:

susan said...

Polonius' advice to his son was the best description I ever read regarding how we should present ourselves to the world. I have a feeling this is pretty much your way of behaving too - except, perhaps for the clothes part. Still, even in that, it's best to maintain a low profile.

It's also true that Polonius didn't follow his own counsel. Sometimes the best we can manage is to jump out of the way before the sword comes through the curtain.

Ben said...

This above all- to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,565
Thou canst not then be false to any man.


Polonius does express a good deal of wisdom in the play. It's also true that he's pretty far from acting wise. I would guess that Shakespeare is flexing his black comedy muscles here.