Monday, January 4, 2021

Egghead humor

 Admission: The following joke isn't original to me, although the wording is. With that in mind, enjoy.


A philosophy professor gives his class their midterm exam. He's dragged a chair to the front of the room. Pointing to it, he says, "Your grade on this paper will rely on your proving to me that this chair doesn't exist."

Most of the class sets to writing long, abstruse paragraphs filled with arcane terms and complicated logic. The only exception is one kid who always sits in the back of the classroom. He picks up his pen and writes for a few seconds, then turns his paper in and takes off.

By the next week, the professor has graded all the tests. Only one student has received an A+ on the exam, and that's the kid who spent the least time on it. The professor holds up the paper with pride. It reads, "What chair?"


2 comments:

susan said...

Since I hadn't heard that one before my pleasure in its
punchline wasn't diminished one bit.

I never saw Steven Wright perform but I think his whimsy
might count as egghead humor. What do you think?

Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth.
On the back it said, “Wish you were here.”

Ben said...

Wright's humor could be called "egghead." It certainly rewards a certain outside-the-box way of thinking.

That joke made me laugh the first time I read your comment and it just did again.