Saturday, January 30, 2021

It's the little things

 There are certainly things in the world I could be kvetching about, but I don't feel like doing that tonight. So I'll talk about something that I like.

I was listening to Nanobots a little earlier. It's an album that They Might Be Giants released 7-8 years ago. It's made up of songs of pretty much normal length interspersed with some that are truly microscopic, like only a handful of seconds. The latter can feel like they come out of nowhere. On the whole the best thing to compare it to is The Who Sell Out, with its blackout ads. Quite clever and fun.

Here's a song where I'm pretty sure the Buddy Holly resemblance is deliberate.

This one also has a fifties vibe, although more vocal pop than rock 'n' roll.



2 comments:

susan said...

I can't say we've really followed TMBG over the years, not since those first albums and the old 'dial a song' days. They've been at it for a very long time now, haven't they?

Their genius has always been their ability to place brilliant metaphors and colorful lyrics that are generally funny along with a profound grasp of harmony. I definitely get your Buddy Holly and the early rock 'n' roll references. Short, sweet, simple and silly songs make for a universal language.

Good choices.

Ben said...

I think they actually have their fortieth anniversary next year, although their first album came a few years after that. Yeah, there's a lot. I haven't kept up with all of it, but when I tune into what they're doing I tend not to be disappointed.

They are quite the craftsmen. They seem to have picked a lot up from David Byrne and Andy Partridge, among others. Kind of natural that they had a couple of successful kids' albums, since they're regular songs are deceptively childlike.

I try. Thanks.