Thursday, August 13, 2020

Why I am likely to vote for Joe Biden this November

 You've most likely heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect. The term "imaginary superiority" arises very quickly, and that's key. If you think you know everything, that gives you little reason to learn more, or even think.

The problem with having Donald Trump as President is that there's nothing to figure out. A handsy real estate grifter who looks like Barney Rubble gone to seed doesn't have a very large bag of tricks, and it doesn't take a lot of vision to see through him. Yet anti-Trumpists often act like they're at the height of savvy.

I'm not optimistic about how successful a President Joe Biden would be, or even if he has goals I'd want him to succeed at. He's been running for the top office for most of my life, seemingly just for the sake of it. But at least if voters start to hate him after he's been elected, they might have to exercise some critical thinking in order to do so.

Luckily he didn't pick Gretchen Whitmer as his running mate. After the way she's been governing Michigan under COVID-19, that would have made it hard for me to pull the lever.

2 comments:

susan said...

When it comes to the presidential election this year my sympathies lie with the wag who suggested Cthulu because 'why try for the lesser of two evils when you can have the real thing?' I agree with you about Trump but I can't find any enthusiasm for Joe Biden with (gasp) the awful Kamala Harris ready to take over probably sooner than later. I don't like quotas and when his handlers decided that not only would his running mate be a woman but that she also had to be black it turned out the only female senator was her. Not that any of it really matters at this point since the truth of the US gov't seems to be that it's a corporate oligarchy - very like the one described by George Carlin's so brilliantly.

On another note I hadn't realized blogger will now only allow youtube videos. If you find something you like on Vimeo or elsewhere I'll be happy to click on a link.

Ben said...

Is Cthulhu on the ballot this year? If he is I might just be tempted. I mean, I live in Rhode Island, he's an honorary Rhode Islander. Anyway, I can't get excited about Biden either. The fact that he's the nominee and that he barely had to leave his house to get the nomination suggests that the Democrats have cannibalized their future in order to (maybe) replace one buffoon with another. As for Kamala, she wouldn't even be in the top 3 worst Presidents of my lifetime, so I don't dread her that much. Richard Nixon had a scummy past but didn't become catastrophic until he actually started bugging his opponents, so she just needs someone to tell her not to do that. I hope. Anyway, that's a great George Carlin clip. This one turned up recently and seems eerily prophetic.

Yeah, that policy change rubs me the wrong way. Especially since I remember when there were a lot more functional video sites than there are now. Anyway, I likely will be posting from Vimeo a lot for things like animation. Dailymotion I mostly use to watch old TV shows.