Friday, August 7, 2020

Arachne


I don't know if I've highlighted the work of Sarah Sze on this blog before. She's a fascinating figure in contemporary art. Since she's talking about reinstalling a piece that was put away for nineteen years, I guess she's proven she's no flash in the pan.


One thing about her sculptures/installations is that a lot of them look ridiculously complex if you're taking count of each individual element. Look at the shadows that they cast and it's a different story. That must be one of the top things she thinks about, how everything will be lit.

2 comments:

susan said...

I think you did feature her work previously but certainly long enough ago that seeing more was a treat. She's definitely very talented.

The artist I always think of first when I see sculptural pieces that are more airborne than pedestal set is, naturally, Alexander Calder. The interesting thing about his mobiles is that although they appear to be simple they are in actuality quite complex.

Ben said...

I had forgotten this, but it's fairly easy to search your blog for topic. And yes, here she is. But she's lots of fun as well as being talented, so I regret nothing.

Calder's work is a continuing delight. I think I may have a small book about his sculptures somewhere. While his mobiles and stabiles are mostly abstract, they hint at some forgotten natural landscape.