Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Suspense

Something happened Monday, at least for a certain definition of "happen." Anyway, I forgot to mention it before. I was on the bus, out shopping. The guy sitting a couple of seats behind me was on his phone, obviously not talking to a live human. He asked something like "if you don't answer does that mean it's over?" So it wasn't going well for him.

And, well, I'm certainly not calling myself an expert on l'amour, but I kind of wanted to tell him, "Just break up with her. Maybe it will impress her. If not, at least you'll save yourself some time. Maybe enough to pick up a hobby."

2 comments:

susan said...

It's entirely plausible she was out, or in the shower or engrossed in a book and so didn't answer the phone. Sounds pretty maudlin, doesn't it? Maybe he should have sent flowers or a nice card instead of making assumptions. Then again, you're probably right that he needs a hobby - a solitary one.

Ben said...

I mean, I don't have the full context. If she was giving him the brush-off that's not the right way to deal with it. If there's an innocent explanation then it must just seem weird to her. Basically if you build up the other person walking away as the worst thing that can happen, you're making it more likely.