Thursday, January 17, 2019

Press return

Typewriters are not much used for typing anymore. I mean, this is an understatement. But they can still serve in another function. As a musical instrument the manual typewriter is filled with sprightly energy.



It doesn't just work in classical music either. Brian Eno, thinking outside the box, worked a typewriter solo into his Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy track "China My China." It adds to what was already a treacherous, unstable rhythm, reflective of the global politics the song explores.

2 comments:

susan said...

I've heard the concerto played before but this was the first time I've actually seen the musician. That was very cool.

Eno's Tiger Mountain album was always one of my favorites of his when he really got into experimenting with sound. I'd forgotten the typewriter.

The saw has also been used to good effect as a musical instrument but Eugene Chadbourne's electric rake and Frank Zappa playing bicycle are probably best left to fond memories of weird things people have tried.

Ben said...

I'm sure there have been a few different players (or typists if you prefer.) Apparently a composer named Leroy Anderson wrote the piece in 1950. But yeah, it's pretty cool seeing the guy pecking away.

I've enjoyed Tiger Mountain for some time. A while ago when a friend of mine was going on a car trip to DC I made a mix tape (yes) and "The Great Pretender" was one of the songs I included.

The first time I ever heard a musical saw was on those old R. Crumb and the Cheap Suit Serenaders albums. Cool sounds. As to the musical bicycle, Zappa might have been taking a page from John Cage.