Thursday, December 21, 2017

Red letter day

In this year's end clickbait listicle the author says, "I'll admit it: I can’t stand Jake Paul because this is the first time in my adult life where I truly believe that what the kids like is scary and wrong. " Well, I've never heard of Jake Paul, don't know who he is, and feel no obligation to find out. So I guess I've reached a different phase of adulthood: the one where you can remain blissfully ignorant of those aspects of youth culture that might annoy you. Hey, I'll take my meager comforts where I can get them.

2 comments:

susan said...

I've never heard of Jake Paul, don't know who he is, and feel no obligation to find out.

After reading that article I'm certain I agree with you. Then again I would have agreed long before that since so many of the acts we used to follow are long gone and I haven't found much to interest me among the groups who have gained some fame (or notoriety) in recent years. The people who have large audiences now have been groomed and promoted by parties who have agendas other than making good music. There may well be some great new bands we haven't heard but the idea that the headliners are largely made up of former teen idol tv stars doesn't give me much impetus to look further.

Ben said...

At the moment the mainstream is aggressively guarded, or at least seems to be. You hardly ever hear of anyone unusual breaking through. Much less revolutionary. This is a generalization, really, but it holds true more than it used to. Something will change, but I don't know what or when.