Wednesday, November 22, 2017

[redacted]

Was going to do a post comparing the commutes of students at various high schools in the Providence area. Abandoned that idea because I couldn't find the right opening.

Remainder: I do notice that Hope, the East Side school, doesn't actually have many East Side kids going to it. East Siders in public school, I'd guess, more often go to Classical, which is somewhere in what they call the West End.

Based on traffic today I'd guess that Hope was open the day before Thanksgiving, but Classical might not have been. Of course some schools start their year before Labor Day now, so maybe they already had a one day head start.

2 comments:

susan said...

I can't say I've noticed high school students commuting around here either by bus, car, or walking, but I imagine they get to their classes one way or another. Earlier in fall when we saw large groups of kids at the park doing their distance runs there were always lots of cars in the main parking lot and no school buses at all. Although I guess a number of them may have arrived in cars driven by their teachers, it doesn't seem likely most of them did so. It's a mystery.

One thing I meant to mention to you was hearing at the end of summer that alcohol wouldn't be allowed in the college dorms for the first week of school. We had no idea alcohol was ever allowed in college dorms. Do you know if this is common practice now and, if so, how long has it been going on?

Ben said...

That's strange. Yeah, being driven to school by your teacher would definitely be non-standard. Not only might the school district look askance at it, but really, how much time do you have to be a chauffeur if you're also going to be teaching classes. Maybe a lot of the kids have their parents drive them, or drive themselves if they're of age. But you'd think there'd be a few school buses on duty.

I can only speak from my own experience in saying that when I was in college there was no drinking on campus. Or rather there was "no drinking" *wink wink* on campus. If there's been a widespread change in the rules, I haven't heard about it. But remember, the legal drinking age down here is 21, as opposed to 19 up there.