Thursday, August 4, 2011

The tippling point

You know what's fun? This personal essay is fun. It's also perceptive about workplace behavior.

I'm now working for another company. We manufacture green technology, and we're experiencing tremendous growth, and it's all very exciting. Especially the part where I could totally stash booze in my desk drawer in violation of the drug and alcohol policy quoted above because I only have one co-worker and he's easy to hide shit from. Also, my phone never rings, so I could drink all the freaking time and no one would know except the security guard who strolls past my suite a couple of times a day.
If you're wondering how any of that equals "tremendous growth," I have three words for you: Government contracts, baby.

However, I do not have alcohol stashed in my desk drawer. I don't drink on the job. When I did that before, it wasn't because of the stress or the long hours. It wasn't just because of that, anyway. It was because I had really cool people to drink with. And because we all worked really hard together and enjoyed taking a break from it together. And that was worth committing a firing offense for. Now, I'd just be sitting alone, drunk and miserable, wondering how things got to this point. I can do that at home.

Could I get away with drinking on the job? I actually haven't thought of it that much. Since I tend to work drowsy to begin with, alcohol might send to to the point of all-out sloppiness.

Still, as someone interested in defiance and the flouting misguided rules, the idea that someone out there is getting soused in the office comforts me.

2 comments:

susan said...

It was always my experience that the best way to get things done and done well was when the people working were able to take responsibility for getting the task done without undue interference from management. In fact, there were many times when much silliness was in evidence. We're human beings and not machines.

Ben said...

That is so true that I'm getting it tattooed on my brain. The best way really is to elude or better yet transcend management interference.