Saturday, May 21, 2022

Rise and fall

Someone I know and ran into today had heard about the heat. I'd heard about it too, from a bank teller yesterday, who'd told me they were talking about it hitting 90. So the friend I met today was looking to get all their errands done before it got too hot. (Laundry was out. She didn't want to get caught in a laundromat if it would be subtropical outside.)

I don't know if it actually hit the nineties. It did get pretty hot, enough to make you get a little hazy, when I was coming home from grocery shopping. And now that we're well into night it feels a little more reasonable, which is a relief.

2 comments:

susan said...

Well, I hope it's cooled down to a more reasonable level for the month of May. Remembering how cold winters can be there and how steamy the summers makes this place look good no matter what time of year or the current weather..

This was the JM Greer article I remembered having read back in 2013 that I remembered and found again: The Next Ten Billion Years. It's not long and his predictions are entertaining enough to provide a little food for thought. Humans in general have a very poor sense of planetary timelines.

btw: We forgot to ask if the wearable item you don't need right now fits.

Ben said...

I'm pretty sure things had gotten more temperate by the time you commented. It was just a freakishly hot few days. There may be big swings here if you look at the whole calendar. I don't know, you sort of get used to it though.

That piece by John Michael Greer was enjoyable. I don't know how accurate his predictions were. We'll, they're not really predictions, just speculations. He does have the number of other futurists, though.

"More broadly, those of my readers who were paying attention last week will notice that the horrible fate that awaits the sinful is simply that nature will be allowed to go her own way, while the salvation awaiting the righteous is more or less the ability to browbeat nature into doing what they think she ought to do—or rather, what Bardi’s hypothesized New Intelligence, whose interests are assumed to be compatible with those of humanity, thinks she ought to do."

Oh yeah, I tried it. It fits.