Monday, May 9, 2022

Partial review

It had been awhile since I'd borrowed a DVD from the library, but I did it again this week. Alas, it was brought home to me again that quality is a crapshoot. I mean quality of the DVD itself, not the movie or show on it. This week's movie wasn't a total loss in this respect, but certainly not a victory. Somewhere in the middle things started to freeze and audio dropped out, so that the very end comes without context.

The film was Cecil B. Demented, by the auteur John Waters. Melanie Griffith is a spoiled movie star attending a premiere in Baltimore when she's abducted by the title character played by Stephen Dorff, who aptly enough had also played Candy Darling in I Shot Andy Warhol. Cecil is a crazed filmmaker who leads a cult of cineastes, most of whom moonlight in a movie theater. He forces her to be in his movie, and while she's initially reluctant, she gradually gets so into the spirit of things she's willing to kill for him and the movie.

I took this movie out in part because I wanted to get that Baltimore feel, and you do see the city in this movie. There are some great comic moments and it takes a certain shameless bravery to do an ode to kidnapping and Stockholm syndrome when Patty Hearst is in the cast. As to how well the picture works as a whole I really can't say, because I didn't come close to seeing that.

Some of the unknowns in the cast went on to become big names. Michael Shannon is a huge deal now, but playing the set driver he looks like a grimy hillbilly working for rotgut and paint thinner. Perfect face for a John Waters flick, then.

2 comments:

susan said...

It's unfortunate you ended up getting a seriously damaged dvd when you were looking forward to the movie. I remember that happening with rentals, particularly video tapes, every so often and it's aggravating.

I hadn't heard about Cecil B. Demented but Melanie Griffith has always been ready to takes chances in a role and have fun doing so, as in Something Wild (one of my favorite comedies) and Working Girl (another I recall fondly). Admittedly, though, I have a pretty bad memory for movies we've watched, even some I've enjoyed. At least that makes it possible to appreciate them all over again when one shows up of an evening. Cecil B. sounds like a good one - maybe you'll have better luck next time seeing all of it.

I'd thought the last John Water's movie we'd seen was Hairspray until Jer reminded me of a later one that also featured a famous actress - Serial Mom starring Kathleen Turner. Once reminded I recalled how hilarious it was very much thanks to her. Maybe you've seen it - more footage of Baltimore. Ricky Lake played her boy crazy teenage daughter. Mom didn't put up with slights to her family.

A number of years ago when we were visiting Ontario the local milk stores were handing out scratch and sniff cards for John Waters' movie Polyester. I couldn't quite believe it was being shown on regular Canadian tv. Probably wouldn't happen now.

The movie I remember seeing Michael Shannon in was the excellent Knives Out. He definitely has a memorable face.

Ben said...

"Aggravating" is the right word. I reported the problem to the librarian when I brought it back, of course. Different branch, but she could put a note on it. But I sometimes suspect I'm the only one who ever says anything.

Body Double as well. From what I recall her character joins the movie about halfway through, which is when it comes to life. But Something Wild probably is the movie to have done best by her. With Cecil B. Demented it seems like she got something fun and interesting to do. People didn't go out to see it, though, unfortunately.

I saw Serial Mom with friends quite a while ago. When it was new on video, anyway. I thought it was pretty hilarious too. Sam Waterston played her husband, a dentist who didn't use any kind of anesthetic (yikes.) It was a black comedy that seemed like it could have a big crossover success, although I don't know if it actually did.

Yeah, I vaguely remember the scratch and sniff thing. Was there another movie that had done that before? I'm not sure. He's always admired William Castle, who was the kind of filmmaker who would have done that kind of thing. Oh, and one TV station up in Richmond Hill ran a couple of 3D movies too. I remember wearing the glasses.

Oh yeah, he's got a very distinctive face. And Knives Out was a great movie for him. Age had given him a little more gravitas by then, as well as his being a bigger name.