Friday, January 7, 2022

Fluffy and white

We got our first substantial snowfall of the winter today. Christmas Eve we got something but it was only ever a dusting and the rain the next day meant it was gone instantly. This might stick around. It's not huge, though. Didn't seem to stop traffic or anything. We're probably lucky it happened on a Friday rather than a Saturday, otherwise I think the city would have taken its sweet time plowing.

So, what did I do? I'm not sure I had gotten any good snow pictures before with my pinhole camera, so I took it down to the river and took a picture of a spot where ducks and gulls hang out. Slightly makes up for me completely sleeping through Waterfire season. Soon I'll get to developing and we can see how everything turned out.

2 comments:

susan said...

A second, and this time substantial, snowstorm happened here on Wednesday afternoon and continued all night making our walk to the local grocery store a slow and messy one. This being Victoria there was no ploughing done at all, in fact we don't think the city has one - or maybe a just couple of ploughs they attach to the odd dumptruck if conditions force them. Anyway, unsurprisingly, it rained all that night and the next day so we were spared further trudges. The good news is that nobody here has a snowblower either, the leaf blowers of autumn make for suffering enough.

I'm glad to hear you managed to get outside with your pinhole camera. Hopefully, you've managed to capture an interesting image of those ducks and gulls. It would be cool to see what came of it.

Ben said...

Yeah, a consequential snowfall will slow you down on a walk like that. Although within reason I prefer walking to the market in snow than a really heavy rainstorm. It's still strange to me that the city of Victoria doesn't do much of anything to clear out the snow. Like, okay, it's not Yellowknife. Still, this is Canada we're talking about and there's always a decent chance that traffic could be stranded. I'm with you on the snowblowers and the leaf blowers. Hearing one leaf blower start when another is still going is an irritating experience (although maybe some people meditate to it.)

I guess I'm a little nervous about the developing process, which might be why I haven't gotten to it yet. I will set some time aside, though.