Friday, September 24, 2021

Life and limb

Yesterday I was down at the park near the Providence/Pawtucket border. Day was breezy but we weren't getting big winds. When I'd been there for a little bit I heard a huge crack. Imagine my surprise when I look up and see a giant severed branch laying on the ground.

If I'm right about the tree that it came from, the tree still had other strong branches and a lot of green leaves. So maybe this one limb had been damaged in an earlier storm or other event and had to be sacrificed. That's big. 

I did move the branch a little out of the footpath.

2 comments:

susan said...

I'm relieved to know you weren't sitting anywhere nearby when that happened.

Sometimes limbs fall for no apparent reason - maybe a bird too many had just landed, or perhaps unseen damage caused the break. I remember a rare September ice storm in Toronto in the late 60s when the trees were still in full leaf. It was beautiful to see - until the overburdoned branches began dropping.

Ben said...

Oh, I was just an observer, not hurt at all. If trees can feel pain then that one must have hurt, though.

Unseen damage of some kind was probably the culprit. Birds would have to establish a small city to bring down a branch that big, which hadn't happened as far as I could see. I can see that ice storm in Toronto being quite a lovely sight--for a while.