Thursday, August 12, 2021

Think on your feet

So, buses around here require you to wear a mask or cloth covering on your face as long as you're riding. For all I know they're going to require this until the end of time. And they're TSA related, which I guess the fed gov can get away with because RIPTA has a couple of buses that cross the line into Massachusetts and therefore it's engaged in interstate travel.

Anyway, today when I saw the bus I was waiting for in the distance I realized I didn't have a mask on me. I'd left it in the pocket of my shorts and at that point I was wearing jeans. The other day I'd seen a guy take off his shirt and put that over his face, but he'd been wearing a leather vest as well.

But building on that idea, I took off one of my socks. It was a longish sock so it tied in the back, and also big enough in the heel area to cover both my nose and my mouth. Further good news: I don't have overpowering foot odor.

As for the bad news, if you've read up to this point you know what that is.

2 comments:

susan said...

We've noticed bus passengers here are still wearing masks even though the drivers aren't. I have no idea what's going on with that stuff anymore, it's all so haphazard it looks like the local overlords are having contests to see who can make the silliest rules.

Anyway, maybe you should get in the habit of wearing a nice neckerchief - then you'd always be prepared.

(Unless you've taken to wearing knee socks or ladies stockings there's simply no way..)

Ben said...

I occasionally see barefaced bus drivers, at least for part of the trip. Would be nice if that could be read as a declaration that it's one of the cool buses. But yeah, the overlords always seem to be exempt from rules, either formally or not, so one has to wonder.

The thing about neckerchiefs is that I'd likely lose one of those without noticing it as well. Don't tend to like having things on my neck, especially when it's hot out. Neckties are sometimes an exception. Like if you're going to a wedding and they're a ticket to drink for the night.