Thursday, August 26, 2021

L'chaim

Tonight I went out to dinner for a friend's birthday. It was a nice get-together. My current circumstances are different from the other people there. I'm also probably a little to the right of the rest now, although that's a very recent development. So maybe I started out with some trepidations. As the evening went on, though, we had some interesting discussions, maybe finding some unexpected common ground.

The dinner also included a bunch of different wines, so we also went through a lot of alcohol. When I stood up to leave I thought, "Oh God, am I gonna die?" Well, now I'm pretty sure I won't, so...

2 comments:

susan said...

Finding common ground is a better way than outright argument when it comes to conversations between those of differing opinions. Civility in such situations is more likely to gain respect for your own views than disagreeable argument. You were wise to enjoy the company and minimise the differences between you.

It appears there was someone sober to get you home. Good to know you had a nice evening.

Ben said...

I'm sure you're right. There's only so much you can do to influence other people. What works out best in the long run is just to keep the lines of communication open.

Sober enough at any rate. The ride home went pretty smoothly. And I would say they were good company.