Thursday, May 20, 2021

Although I know it's strictly taboo

Horror tends to work best as an offhand effect. Or so I've believed for a while. Hereditary doesn't go that route. Its story starts off as kind of a downer and quickly escalates to "are you fucking kidding me?" Which makes it harrowing, and then perversely funny.

Part of what makes it work nonetheless is that it just looks so good. The central character of Annie (Toni Collette continuing her quest to never again use her native Aussie accent onscreen) is a miniaturist, and one of the first edits juxtaposes one of her art projects with the house she and her family live in, giving the impression that they live all their lives in a dollhouse. Which they do, and it's kept by sadists.

So, memorable effect. I don't have kids. If I did I'm not sure how I would have reacted to some of the scenes in the movie.

2 comments:

susan said...

Even though you make the movie sound pretty interesting, and you do, I have such a difficult time watching horror movies it's not very likely I'd be able to sit through this one with my eyes open.

Since I wasn't familiar with her name I looked up Toni Collete and found we did see her in one movie we both enjoyed - Knives Out. That was a clever take on the old murder in a mansion with lots of potential killers kind of story. Toni Collette was in that but it was too large a cast for me to remember her in particular.

I'm sure Jer would be happy to hear your thoughts about Hereditary.

Ben said...

You and Jerry might indeed have different levels of interest in/tolerance for horror movies. I kind of remember that. One of those things you learn to balance if you live together, I guess.

Like I said, it didn't necessarily fit my ideal of the genre, but not many movies do. I found it interesting and effective, though.

I saw Toni Collette a long time ago in Muriel's wedding, which was made back in Australia so she actually did use her native accent in it. And Knives Out was very much a treat for me. She was a relative-by-marriage in that movie, and kind of an airheaded New Age lifestyle influencer. I thought she did well in the part.