Sunday, March 21, 2021

...on the other hand

 Sure it's nice to have spring back. I mean, let's do this every year.

Of course springtime means more people out. And we still have social distancing guidelines of six feet, even if the CDC is having trouble defending that measurement and more and more people are starting to ignore it. That means that there's going to be more waiting in line.

And hoo boy. Friday I stopped into DD to grab a coffee and donut. At the front of the line were three people, loosely together and two of them with their phones out. Because that means dawdling and calling their friends, asking "They don't have X, what else you want." It's Dunkin Donuts. Grab something and go.

So yes, I narrowly avoided turning into Michael Douglas from Falling Down on Friday.

2 comments:

susan said...

Ah yes, I see what you mean: "Have you ever heard the customer is always right?" Manager nods and keeps smiling. "Well, I'm him." says Michael as he pulls out the automatic.

I don't expect you were armed during your visit to DD but I get your point. If it's the same as I remember the place has a pretty limited menu. Oops, I just looked at their offerings and it turns out I'm wrong about that.. But dawdlers are always irritating anyway and perhaps those who have been locked up in their houses for a year may well be worse.

Still, it's nice to finally be able to enjoy the warmth of a spring sun. Maybe eventually people will be able to line up close enough together that the dawdlers will notice the grumbling further back in the line.

Ben said...

That is a great line. Not quite a one-liner but pithy nonetheless.

The extent of the menu varies. Some locations, for example, have a fair selection of lunch sandwiches, while others only serve egg sandwiches that you'd have at breakfast. At this place and time it was really just the baked goods behind the counter.

Of course coffee shops in general are divided between places where you can sit down at a table and those where you have to go somewhere else to eat/drink. And the conditions under which you can sometimes mean that it's not really worth it.

It's not warm now, which is okay because I don't mind bundling up. The days certainly are bright, though. I'm sure people are excited to get out.