Saturday, March 27, 2021

In a whirl

Weather is getting warmer. We could have another cold spell in April and it wouldn't be unprecedented, but the trend is obviously upwards.

Ah, but warmth fluctuates in the course of the day. One consequence of this is the fan. I have a ceiling fan in my living room. Today when I got back from grocery shopping I changed into shorts and a tee and turned the fan on full blast. Then I turned it down. And down further. Currently I have the window closed and I'm wearing long pants and a cardigan over my two shirts. 

You can go through this cycle a few times a day. And the thing about the ceiling fan is that it's also got a lighting fixture built in. Changing fan speeds seems to loosen whatever is holding the glass globe around the light in place, so that it's more likely to fall. I've lost two of them so far, plus another time it fell and shattered the glass I was drinking out of. Which is why I'm just leaving the light bulb naked now. I don't need the floor littered with glass shards.

2 comments:

susan said...

This is definitely the time of year when it's good to be a quick change artist as the temperatures fluctuate throughout the day. I liked your description of the process you went through to stay comfortable.

Ceiling fans are fine for regulating temperature in your place but I understand the problem with the attached light fixture can be a problem. The naked bulb solution seems okay so long as you don't mind the glare and I can imagine your shock when a globe fell so close it broke a glass. I'm not fond of overheads when it comes to light for reading etc., far preferring a lamp or two and maybe leaving a dead bulb in the ceiling fixture. Whatever makes you comfortable is the way to go.

Ben said...

"Quick change artist" is a good descriptor. It's important to be able to keep your options open in case of any changes.

Lamps are nice. I did get one a while ago, but at some point it conked out on me. Tried putting a few new lightbulbs in it, no joy. I should pick up another one, but so far I haven't gotten around to it.