Sunday, November 17, 2019

Upstairs

The top floor apartment in my building has had a lot of people move in and out of it while I've been here. It just got two new tenants at the beginning of this month. That's November, not September or October. A lot of past tenants have been students, which has in practice meant that they're around till sometime in May and then depart forever.

This time we have a young family. I'm pretty sure, anyway, that I've heard toddler feet running around.

Tonight when I was coming in from taking out the trash, I saw the lady of the house locking her door. She was facing away so I figured I'd say "hello" in a soft voice. Which came out as a creepy stage whisper, but she didn't seem startled. Didn't get a chance to say anything else to her, though.

2 comments:

susan said...

I wonder if she said hello to you or did she run inside and slam the door?

Most of the buildings we've lived in both in Portland and Halifax have had student tenants so we know what it's like to have transient neighbors. At least in Portland the young resident doctors were too busy to cause trouble, but the undergrads in Halifax were often a different story. Loud parties were common at our first building but not quite so much at Tower Rd (unless you counted what went on outside). The worst at both was the huge piles of garbage they'd leave at the end of the year - not just furniture but real garbage that made us think they's been storing the stuff. Our current building is very quiet.

I hope all your neighbors are pleasant.

Ben said...

She was pretty cool. If I startled her she didn't show it.

Well student neighbors can be a handful. Often they're away from their parents' homes for the first extended time, and if they live off campus they're also away from school authority, which tends to be pretty weak in the first place. The way they take advantage of this newfound freedom can be a pain in the rear to other people. Sometimes. Luckily you seem to be out of that now.

I like the neighbors when I get to meet them, mostly. One guy almost didn't let me in when the landlords changed the locks and my new key didn't work. Just being cautious, I guess, but it was a problem.