Saturday, November 23, 2019

Canvassing

There's a painter who does portraits at the Rochambeau public library. Today was the second time I saw her at work there. The first time I guess I thought it was just a one-time thing. Which it apparently isn't.

It seems like a good setting. She's getting subjects with unique looks, not necessarily models or the people she'd be painting for paid commissions. (Unless these are paid commissions, but I don't think so.) The library also has big windows in front that go almost from ceiling to floor, for that whole light thing.

2 comments:

susan said...

You didn't say so but I'm guessing she must be having people sit for her as it's not possible to undertake a portrait without a certain amount of scrutiny. I'm also guessing the artist isn't making those quick sketches you sometimes see them doing at street fairs. I wonder if she may be preparing a show of her work. Making portrait paintings at a library would be ideal for something like that.

Ben said...

I've just sort of hung back and let her do her thing, but I am curious about the things you mentioned, like her preparing for a show. Both times I've seen her working so far it's been Saturday, which tends to be the day I get there earliest, i.e. early afternoon. Because of the four-day weekend that started with Thanksgiving neither of us was there Saturday, but I hope to see her at it again this weekend.