Monday, May 27, 2019

Shakey gave a party that lasted all night

Was just at the home of a friend of mine. He and his wife threw a Memorial Day cookout. Mostly we were indoors. Anyway they were there, their kids, the eldest son's girlfriend and her mother: the list of guest stars goes on. It was nice.

Along with good food there were also some fine spirits served. When I got home I drank a fair amount of water so I don't wake up dehydrated tomorrow. One learns.

Hung out with the dogs, too, one of which really liked to be scratched. As far as I know this does not carry a risk of hangover.

2 comments:

susan said...

It's good to know you enjoyed a nice Memorial Day. Last weekend was the Victoria Day holiday here but most places in Canada it's now known as May Long - which kind of sounds Chinese. I don't know if there's a general denial of the old queen, but it seems faddish to me - like tearing down statues or covering historic murals in order to pretend certain things never happened or that everybody has always been 'woke' (an example of faddish language if I ever heard one).

Anyhow, I'm glad you had a good time and the dog had a good time and that you didn't suffer morning after pains.

Ben said...

That's an interesting change. It may simply be that younger Canadians aren't connected to the British Imperial past and Victoria doesn't have a great meaning for them. My early childhood feels like a transition, the last of Canada as a true part of the Commonwealth. Today it's basically America but less so, or so it seems to me. Still, it's kind of sad. Victoria was a very interesting figure, regardless of what you think of her reign.

Dogs are friendly in general, but it felt like I really hit it off with this one, which was nice. And not as weird as that sentence may have just sounded.