Monday, September 10, 2018

Prepared

A lady on the bus today was asking around if anyone had any ibuprofen, because she had a toothache. She didn't ask me, but as it happened I had some acetaminophen. She was happy to take it but surprised. It was usually women who have things like that on them.

Which is true and I've noticed. It's just that sometimes without much warning I get headaches. It doesn't happen that often, but in those cases I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. So anyway it worked out for her.

2 comments:

susan said...

It wasn't so long ago you could buy little tin boxes of a dozen aspirin tablets that were much easier to carry in a pocket whereas even small plastic containers make a lump. That's probably why it's so rare - especially for guys who aren't in the habit of carrying purses.

It's likely you couldn't get someone to give you a match or a pencil these days either.

I'm glad you were able to help the lady. It's always best to be prepared for pain or a runny nose for that matter.

Ben said...

The little tin boxes must have been phased out after the Chicago Tylenol poisonings back in 1982. That case changed a lot, although the poisonings only lasted a couple of days. Anyway, there's a masculine ideal of being streamlined and unencumbered: carry no bag, wear only jeans and t-shirt when it's warm. I understand the appeal, but it's not realistic for me at this point.

Even smokers mostly use lighters now. And I'm lucky I'm confident enough to do crosswords in pen.

Yeah, I was glad enough to help her. So often we have negative or cold experiences with strangers.