I first saw the bird in the nest a couple of days ago, above the door I generally use to get to the sidewalk. The bird didn't move, so I figured it must be artificial. Some kind of garden decoration somebody had planted up there either for a gag or because they just liked the way it looked. Although the nest was a little messy for that.
But today I came back and the building's Russian handyman pointed the bird―which looks like some kind of columbiform―out to me. It's real. She's real, and had a chick next to her. Maybe there's a daddy bird out there getting food for them? We don't know.
Late afternoon, early evening, we had a thunderstorm. I went downstairs to look at the bird through the little window over the door. This time I did see her head move. And later on, at night, her head was turned so she could look inside.
How could this not be a blessing?
1 comment:
Do you remember when we told you about the pigeon couple who came to live on our balcony in Halifax? Your story of the bird nesting in what I imagine must be a sheltered spot over your front door sounds much the same. There will be a pair of them that share time sitting on what is a very messy nest - some twigs and bits spread in an uneven circle. Eventually the baby pigeons (squabs) will hatch and you'll be able to see them grow. Of the two that we watched grow to be adult pigeons the first one, the female, left when her father came and showed them how to fly and where to head. The male was left alone but another lone male came by the next day and called him, the day after too. Then the last one flew away.
A pigeon is no extraordinary bird but they are very fascinating individuals - smart too. They have to be to live successfully in cities. I'm reminded of St. Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Creatures.
https://youtu.be/4ZhLzvMWg0E?si=xjnf1hSLH7or_aNq
Post a Comment