Thursday, May 16, 2024

Hand you're dealt

I was listening to a jazz program on the radio via the Internet and the DJ was telling the life story of British clarinetist Acker Bilk. Yeah, uh, the Wikipedia link doesn't tell the whole story. About how he lost part of his finger, I mean. It was an accident while he was out tobogganing. No, but see, the part that gets me is how a dog ran up and carried it off in its mouth. Unless you're under you must remember any time you lose a body part, but that way would be especially impossible to shake.

The name "Acker Bilk" sounded familiar to me because I'd heard my grandfather talking about him. My grandfather was also missing part of a finger, which you could call a connection between them, but he probably just liked the guy's music.

2 comments:

susan said...

Damn, not only had he lost his finger but seeing a dog run off with it was definitely adding insult to injury. I hadn't thought about Acker Bilk in a long time so it was very nice to be reminded of his musicianship. I listened to him play Stranger on the Shore - the sound of his clarinet touches your heart, melancholy, and so very beautiful.

Your granddad always liked music almost as much as he liked bicycles. I saw him at his happiest one afternoon at the CNE Bandshell when we sat on a bench to listen to Louis Armstrong play in concert. Dad sang along quietly with all the favorites.

Ben said...

Animals generally don't bear us any malice but that doesn't mean they can't be a pain in the ass. Even dogs. And I see what you mean about "Stranger on the Shore." It's a beautifully expressive piece of music. Apparently Bilk wrote it for his young daughter.

Seeing Satchmo at the CNE must have been a treat, especially since Grandad had always been a fan. One of those moments that you treasure for long afterwards.