Thursday, March 7, 2024

Primary primer

I got a mailer recently from the Board of Canvassers. A reminder that we in Rhode Island have a Presidential primary on April 2, and where to vote. I appreciate this. Still, what to do?

Obviously Joe Biden is going to win the primary. He'll get the nomination, unless the Democrats convince him to step aside. And in truth, nobody in the party with a snowflake's chance of replacing him is that much better. In the general, Trump may be a better, but there's still going to be a historic lack of good options.

I'll probably vote for a hopeless dark horse candidate. Someone who I can at least support and look at myself in the mirror.

2 comments:

susan said...

I was just checking the list of candidates for president in RI and it looks like it's too late to vote for an official dark horse candidate since Dean Phillips dropped out on Monday. Jer suggests you write your own name on the ballot as a protest vote and you might make the news. If you canvas your friends to vote your way you might even end up in Washington come November.

Ah well, you know what they say about elections - the government always gets in. The other thing they say is that if voting changed anything, it would have been banned years ago.

You're right that in the US at least the only choices are poor ones. If we lived in Europe we could vote for the farmers. People all over the West are righteously angry and that's something that does worry politicians.

Ben said...

Honestly once I started finding out stuff about Dean Phillips that was enough for me not to like him. Too in bed with Big Tech. There's a more obscure guy in the race, and I'm trying to figure out if a vote for him will send the right message. As for me being the one who ends up in the White House, I'll only say that I'm being very careful what I wish for, and it's not that.

Both good adages to keep in mind. Especially the second one. Yeah, sad to say, so many schemes are in play here they're not going to leave anything to chance.

In recent years the Netherlands has very ably alienated its farmers. I'm glad to see them flexing their muscles. Although I also have to say I'm relieved that Geert Wilders won't be taking the high office. He's truly a nasty piece of work, which I wouldn't now say about Donald Trump.